Newsletter date: 13 July 2015; last updated 2:45pm AEST
* Analysis / Opinion: Gerry Georgatos, The Stringer: Not all are deaths in custody - murders in custody
* Bio: Gerry Georgatos - The Stringer
* About: The Stringer's Editorial policy: http://thestringer.com.au/about-us
* Support: Fund The Stringer: http://thestringer.com.au/fund-the-stringer
* News: Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT): ALS News: CNS funded for six months: http://www.alsnswact.org.au/news_items/179
* About CNS: Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT): Custody Notification Service (CNS): http://www.alsnswact.org.au/pages/custody-notification-service
* About Us: Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT): http://www.alsnswact.org.au/pages/about-us
* WGAR Background: Justice Reinvestment, Aboriginal imprisonment and Aboriginal deaths in custody
WGAR News Public Google Group: https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en-GB#!forum/wgar-news
WGAR News - Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
- Analysis / Opinion
The Stringer: Not all are deaths in custody - murders in custody
9 Jul 15: "Who killed Eddie Murray? A police officer did. Who killed John Pat? A police officer did. Who killed Mulrunji Doomadgee? A police officer did. How did they get away with it? Racism got in the way. These three young people, among others, did not just die in custody – they were killed in custody – their deaths should have been classified as homicides. ... " By Gerry Georgatos, a life-long human rights and social justice campaigner, a multi-award winning investigative journalist
Gerry Georgatos - The Stringer
"His predominant work is in suicide prevention research and in unveiling racism and in articulating the ways forward. ... Some of his stories on homelessness in First Nations communities have led to many people housed and to restorative cultural projects. ... He is an expert in his fields, particularly in the understanding of racism and in suicide prevention - and involves himself at the coalface in addition to interfacing with Governments. ... "
The Stringer's Editorial policy:
[scroll down page] http://thestringer.com.au/about-us
"Independent news media contributes to the unfolding landscape of human rights and social justice. It is The Stringer’s aim to provide every opportunity to the rise of voices that far too often are denied. If The Stringer believes in the importance of a story we will sustain coverage - this is what The Stringer terms through-care journalism. The Stringer has become known for breaking stories that others initially were not prepared to investigate and report. ... "
Fund The Stringer
"We know how much you like reading the news on The Stringer website. If you’d like to help us continue to shine a massive great big flood lamp on the political injustices of this country and, indeed, the world then please contribute whatever you feel able to using the form below. ... "
Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT): ALS News: CNS funded for six months
6 Jul 15: "On 30 June 2015 Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT) secured six months grant funding for the Custody Notification Service (CNS) from the Australian government Attorney-General’s department. The Australian government has funded the Custody Notification Service, a 24/7 phone line for Aboriginal people taken into police cell custody, since 2008. We understand the Australian government is asking the NSW government to supply the additional six months worth of funding towards the Custody Notification Service however we have received no formal notification this will actually occur. ... "
- About CNS
Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT): Custody Notification Service (CNS)
"The CUSTODY NOTIFICATION SERVICE (CNS) is a 24-hour legal advice and RU OK phone line for Aboriginal people taken into police custody. Under NSW law, Police must contact the ALS whenever they have taken an Aboriginal person into custody. The Police phone our CNS, and the Aboriginal person receives early legal advice from an ALS lawyer, ensuring their fundamental legal rights are respected and less Aboriginal people are imprisoned. The ALS lawyer also asks the Aboriginal person: RU OK? Often, the answer is no. ... "
- About Us
Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT)
"The ALS is a proud Aboriginal community organisation. We opened our doors in 1970 in Redfern as the first Aboriginal Legal Service in Australia – that makes us over 40 years old! The ALS does legal work in Criminal law, children’s Care and Protection law and Family law. We assist Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander men, women and children through representation in court, advice and information, and referral to further support services. But we also do things making us different from other legal service providers, like: ... "
WGAR Background: Justice Reinvestment, Aboriginal imprisonment and Aboriginal deaths in custody
(last updated: 12 July 2015)
- - -
WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
About WGAR News:
Subscription to 'WGAR News' is free.
'WGAR News' monitors the media, including alternative media, focusing on:
* The Freedom Summit's National Freedom Movement;
* the Australian Federal government intervention into Northern Territory (NT) Aboriginal communities;
* Plans to close Aboriginal homelands / remote communities in Western Australia (WA), South Australia (SA), [and Northern Territory (NT)?];
* Treaties with Aboriginal Sovereign Nations of Australia;
* the Aboriginal sovereignty movement and the Aboriginal tent embassies;
* Justice Reinvestment, Aboriginal imprisonment and Aboriginal Deaths in Custody;
* Aboriginal land rights and mining;
* Suicide and self-harm in Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander communities;
* Removal of Aboriginal children and the continuing Stolen Generation;
* Aboriginal peoples and the impact of the Australian Federal Budget;
* Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander health and wellbeing;
* other Aboriginal rights issues; and
* upcoming Aboriginal rights events around Australia.
'WGAR News' gives priority to grassroots Aboriginal voices and grassroots voices in solidarity with Aboriginal peoples' rights.
The role of 'WGAR News' is to facilitate the voices of others, and as such, 'WGAR News' rarely writes its own articles.
'WGAR News' publishes information and opinions from a wide range of sources.
These opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of WGAR.
The e-newsletters include media releases, opinion pieces, news items, audio, videos and events.
Subscribers can expect to receive about 5-6 e-newsletters each week.
To subscribe, email email@example.com and include the words "subscribe WGAR News" in the message header.
To unsubscribe, email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the words "unsubscribe WGAR News" in the message header.