Newsletter date: 1 March 2014
* ABC Kimberley: James Price Point Aboriginal cultural leader passes away
* Greens Senator Rachel Siewert: Greens express 'deep sadness' over loss of Goolarabooloo law man
* ABC Indigenous: Greens pay tribute to Broome Indigenous leader
* Andrew Burrell, The Australian: James Price Point campaigner Mr Roe dies
* Background to the Walmadan Tent Embassy, James Price Point, north of Broome, Kimberley Region, WA
* Background to the Save The Kimberley Campaign - James Price Point, north of Broome, WA
* Greens Senator Rachel Siewert: Concerns continue over cuts to Aboriginal legal services [Featuring Commissioner Mick Gooda]
* WGAR News: NATSILS Factsheet: funding cuts to Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Legal Services (22 Dec 13)
* Background to Justice Reinvestment, Aboriginal imprisonment and Aboriginal Deaths in Custody
* Saskia Edwards & Claire Mchardy, The Wire: Outrage over changes to Racial Discrimination Act
* WGAR News: Pleas for strong and effective racial vilification laws: Santilla Chingaipe, SBS Radionews (16 Dec 13)
* WGAR News: Living Black Radio's Marc Tong interviews Kirstie Parker: Congress Opposes RDA Amendments (2 Dec 13)
* WGAR News: Tony Abbott wants to repeal Racial Discrimination laws: Pedestrian TV (17 Nov 13)
* ABC KIMBERLEY: JAMES PRICE POINT ABORIGINAL CULTURAL LEADER PASSES AWAY
ABC Kimberley: James Price Point Aboriginal cultural leader passes away
27 Feb 14: "He was best known as the face of Aboriginal opposition to gas processing at James Price Point north of Broome, and for being a grandson of celebrated Broome cultural leader, Paddy Roe. The Goolarabooloo Law Boss, who cannot be named for cultural reasons, passed away in a Perth hospital after he suffered what is believed to be a massive heart attack while in Broome. His death comes as a shock to many who knew him as a vigorous opponent to the State Government and Woodside Petroleum's plans to build a gas processing facility at James Price Point north of Broome."
* GREENS SENATOR RACHEL SIEWERT: GREENS EXPRESS 'DEEP SADNESS' OVER LOSS OF GOOLARABOOLOO LAW MAN
- Media Release
Greens Senator Rachel Siewert: Greens express 'deep sadness' over loss of Goolarabooloo law man
27 Feb 14: "The Australian Greens have expressed deep sadness at the passing of a prominent Goolarabooloo law man yesterday.
"His courage in fighting the James Price Point Gas hub proposal was inspiring and his leadership was a key to the success of the campaign," Senator Rachel Siewert said today.
"His work will long be remembered and respected across Australia.
"It is a great shame to lose a leader at such an early age. He will be greatly missed.
"I offer sincere condolences to his family, friends and community," Senator Siewert concluded."
* ABC INDIGENOUS: GREENS PAY TRIBUTE TO BROOME INDIGENOUS LEADER
ABC Indigenous: Greens pay tribute to Broome Indigenous leader
27 Feb 14: "Tributes have flowed from the Australian Greens, after the death of a prominent Broome Aboriginal leader. He was a Goolarabooloo man and avid campaigner against Woodside's Kimberley gas hub proposal at James Price Point. ... Greens' Senator Rachel Siewert has offered her condolences to the man's family, saying his courage and leadership was inspiring and his work will long be remembered and respected across Australia."
* ANDREW BURRELL, THE AUSTRALIAN: JAMES PRICE POINT CAMPAIGNER MR ROE DIES
The Australian: James Price Point campaigner Mr Roe dies
27 Feb 14: "The 47-year-old Goolaroobooloo elder, known only as Mr Roe for cultural reasons, went into cardiac arrest in Broome earlier this month and was transferred to Perth’s Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital. It is understood Mr Roe’s brain was deprived of oxygen and he was unable to breathe without the aid of a respirator. His family - including his brother, fellow law man Phillip Roe - had been by his side in hospital. Mr Roe campaigned for several years against Woodside’s planned natural gas plant at James Price Point, 50km north of Broome, ... " Andrew Burrell
* BACKGROUND TO THE WALMADAN TENT EMBASSY, JAMES PRICE POINT, NORTH OF BROOME, KIMBERLEY REGION, WA
Last updated: 26 January 2014
* BACKGROUND TO THE SAVE THE KIMBERLEY CAMPAIGN - JAMES PRICE POINT, NORTH OF BROOME, WA
Last updated: 26 January 2014
* GREENS SENATOR RACHEL SIEWERT: CONCERNS CONTINUE OVER CUTS TO ABORIGINAL LEGAL SERVICES [FEATURING COMMISSIONER MICK GOODA]
- Media Release & Video
Greens Senator Rachel Siewert: Concerns continue over cuts to Aboriginal legal services
24 Feb 14: "The Australian Greens said today it is clear the Government is trying to downplay the impact of cuts to Aboriginal legal services, with evidence at estimates contradicting the Government's line that cuts to funding will have no impact.
"Contrary to the Government's claims in Estimates this morning, when the Attorney General downplayed the role of policy and advocacy, it is clear that these cuts are likely to lead to increased incarceration rates amongst Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples" Senator Rachel Siewert, Australian Greens spokesperson on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander issues said today.
"This afternoon, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Social Justice Commissioner Mick Gooda highlighted the significant role that advocacy continues to play in improving Australia's legal system and access to justice.
"Commissioner Gooda highlighted the fact that advocacy continues to be vital for pointing to systemic problems and mechanisms to correct them. Without effective policy and advocacy informing law reform and better practice, incarceration rates won't improve and could increase. ... " [Senator Siewert said] "
* WGAR NEWS: NATSILS FACTSHEET: FUNDING CUTS TO ABORIGINAL & TORRES STRAIT ISLANDER LEGAL SERVICES (22 DEC 13)
WGAR News: NATSILS Factsheet: funding cuts to Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Legal Services (22 Dec 13)
* NATSILS - National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Services: Government to defund Aboriginal Legal Services Peak Body and all Law Reform and Policy Positions
* NATSILS Factsheet: funding cuts to Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Legal Services
* CAALAS - Central Australian Aboriginal Legal Aid Service: Cuts to Aboriginal legal aid will silence Aboriginal communities
* NACCHO political health news: Abbott Government cuts to impact on Aboriginal health
* SNAICC News: Media Release 18 December 2013 - Cuts to Aboriginal Legal Services
* ANTaR: Cuts to Aboriginal Legal Services will undermine action on Aboriginal jobs and education
* ANTaR: Take Action: Abbott Government delivers a blow to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Justice
* Oxfam Australia Media: Cuts to Aboriginal Legal Services will widen the gap
* WA Greens Senator Rachel Siewert: Abbott’s legal aid cuts a bad sign for justice in WA
* Greens Senator Penny Wright: Abbott's cruel cuts will raise indigenous prison rates
* ABC PM: Funding cuts to cripple Indigenous legal services [Featuring NATSILS chairman, Shane Duffy]
* Gerry Georgatos, The Stringer: Government defunding NATSILS makes no sense
* Human Rights Law Centre: Aboriginal legal service cuts will make justice more remote
* Amnesty International Australia: Legal cuts a massive blow for Indigenous Australians
* Equality Rights Alliance: NATSIWA calls for a halt to funding cuts
* Mid North Coast Greens: The Government has proposed cuts to the funding for Aboriginal legal services and the National Congress of Australia’s First Peoples
* Australian Human Rights Commission: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander programs at risk [Cuts to Aboriginal legal aid]
* The Guardian: Five questions to Amy McQuire: on Australia's two worlds - one for black and one for white [Includes cuts to Aboriginal legal aid]
* News.com.au : More indigenous in jail without legal aid
* Videos on the cuts to Aboriginal legal aid
* Background to Justice Reinvestment, Aboriginal imprisonment and Aboriginal Deaths in Custody"
* BACKGROUND TO JUSTICE REINVESTMENT, ABORIGINAL IMPRISONMENT AND ABORIGINAL DEATHS IN CUSTODY:
Last updated: 26 February 2014
* SASKIA EDWARDS & CLAIRE MCHARDY, THE WIRE: OUTRAGE OVER CHANGES TO RACIAL DISCRIMINATION ACT
The Wire: Outrage over changes to Racial Discrimination Act
Produced by Saskia Edwards and Claire Mchardy
28 Feb 14: "Australia’s Racial Discrimination Act provides vital protection for those members of our society who are most vulnerable to racial vilification. However, the proposition to amend or even repeal to section 18C - which makes any act that is likely to offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate another person or group of people illegal, has caused community and group representatives to voice their concerns. ...
Featured in story:
* Human Rights Commissioner - Tim Wilson
* Managing Director of All Together Now Priscilla Brice
* Executive Director of the Executive Council of Australian Jewry - Peter Wertheim
* SA Greens Senator - Penny Wright"
* WGAR NEWS: PLEAS FOR STRONG AND EFFECTIVE RACIAL VILIFICATION LAWS: SANTILLA CHINGAIPE, SBS RADIONEWS (16 DEC 13)
WGAR News: Pleas for strong and effective racial vilification laws: Santilla Chingaipe, SBS Radionews (16 Dec 13)
* Santilla Chingaipe, SBS Radionews: Pleas for strong and effective racial vilification laws [Featuring The Law Centre's Hugh de Kreteser]
* Malarndirri McCarthy, NITV News: Over 150 groups rally against changes to racial discrimination laws ... "
* WGAR NEWS: LIVING BLACK RADIO'S MARC TONG INTERVIEWS KIRSTIE PARKER: CONGRESS OPPOSES RDA AMENDMENTS (2 DEC 13)
WGAR News: Living Black Radio's Marc Tong interviews Kirstie Parker: Congress Opposes RDA Amendments (2 Dec 13)
* SBS Living Black Radio's Marc Tong interviews Co-Chair of Congress Kirstie Parker: Congress Opposes RDA Amendments
* Geoffrey Brahm Levey & Helen Pringle, ABC The Drum: Why the 'Bolt laws' should stay
* ABC Lateline: "Professor Gillian Triggs, the President of the Australian Human Rights Commission discusses freedom of speech."
* Marina Freri, SBS Radionews: Groups combine to oppose Racial Discrimination Act change
* Brooke Boney, NITV News: Attorney-General under fire over Racial Discrimination Act ... "
* WGAR NEWS: TONY ABBOTT WANTS TO REPEAL RACIAL DISCRIMINATION LAWS: PEDESTRIAN TV (17 NOV 13)
WGAR News: Tony Abbott wants to repeal Racial Discrimination laws: Pedestrian TV (17 Nov 13)
* Pedestrian TV: Tony Abbott wants to repeal Racial Discrimination laws
* The Wire: Andrew Bolt, racial discrimination and free speech [Featuring Dr Mark McMillan - Wiradjuri man]
* Suresh Rajan, The Stringer: Brandis, Bolt and a whole lot of other B's!
* Barry Everingham, Independent Australia: Abbott Government acts swiftly to legalise racism
* Jessica Wright, The Sydney Morning Herald: George Brandis to repeal 'Bolt laws' on racial discrimination ... "
- - -
WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
About WGAR News:
Subscription to 'WGAR News' is free.
'WGAR News' monitors the media, including alternative media, focusing on:
* the Australian Federal government intervention into Northern Territory (NT) Aboriginal communities;
* the Aboriginal sovereignty movement and the Aboriginal tent embassies;
* Justice Reinvestment, Aboriginal imprisonment and Aboriginal Deaths in Custody;
* Aboriginal land rights and mining;
* Suicide and self-harm in Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander communities;
* Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander health and wellbeing;
* other Aboriginal rights issues; and
* upcoming Aboriginal rights events around Australia.
'WGAR News' gives priority to grassroots Aboriginal voices and grassroots voices in solidarity with Aboriginal peoples' rights.
The role of 'WGAR News' is to facilitate the voices of others, and as such, 'WGAR News' rarely writes its own articles.
'WGAR News' publishes information and opinions from a wide range of sources.
These opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of WGAR.
The e-newsletters include media releases, opinion pieces, news items, audio, videos and events.
Subscribers can expect to receive about 7 e-newsletters each week.
To subscribe, email email@example.com and include the words "subscribe WGAR News" in the message header.
To unsubscribe, email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the words "unsubscribe WGAR News" in the message header.
Sample WGAR News e-newsletters:
WGAR events postings:
WGAR background info web-pages:
WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)